Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Stay strong at Strong.

Today my 13 year old cousin underwent open heart surgery. It was a long long day. Actually I just got back from the hospital at 9:40 ish. It was a bunch of waiting of visiting and taking care of family.

I basically lived my day around a golden girls quote (go figure)
"Sometime when were scared we all have our own little ways of getting through it. Mine is making little jokes, that's all." -Sophia

I was there for what felt like 2 hours but actually all day. The doctors and nurses work so well with my cousin. He is highly autistic and just getting him to do simple things is very very hard.
I visited my family last night as they were staying at the RIT Inn and I brought over my playstation, which my cousin loves to play with, so he wouldn't be nervous the night before he went in. He, honestly, was the least nervous person out of the bunch. Which I thought was funny, but that's the kind of kid he is.

Today went very well. They started the surgery around 9-9:30 ish and it only lasted till around 2:30. It felt like it went by so fast. While we were waiting in the family lounge every time some doctor or nurse or social worker would come in there my heart would start racing like something was wrong. Thank God there was no bad news. People were constantly posting stuff on my facebook and my aunts as well giving us well wishes and support. It was amazing.

I'm going to upload the photos I took today, although its a lot it's only half of what is on my phone. I would have brought my point and shoot but I didn't know hospital edict. So sorry for that.

That's all for now. There is always tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. glad you had the courage to photograph, it probably helped get you through it. nice of you to share it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of went into the situation telling myself I wanted to TRY to photograph some of it. Or at least the reactions and what not. I told everyone I had a blog to keep up with and they didn't mind at all. They were actually just curious. I thought about taking a picture of him and posting it. But that's taking it too far, well for me anyways. So I thought I would put up what I could.

    Again, thank you for the support Dan

    ReplyDelete